Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Iowa State Fair

I am sure many of you have heard how much I LOVE the Iowa State Fair! Adam and I have not been to the fair for 5 years, we were really excited to go on our trip home last week. There is really no way to show you everything I love about the fair, so I have picked a few of my favorites.

This is a map of the fair which seems to get bigger every year! Everyday at the fair there are concerts, talent shows, contests and the best people watching!



Upon arriving at the fair there are two things you need to start your tour. One is a HUGE turkey leg.......


the other is a fresh squeezed lemonade!


The first main attraction is the Big Boar, he really needs no introduction except to say that this years winner was 1,259 pounds!


I think I heard this is the biggest boar in Iowa State Fair history! This picture does not do him justice, he is enormous.

This cute little pig had a long day. He was so tired that his tongue was stuck to the floor while he slept.

The cows start out sooooo cute......



then they grow up.

The Giant Slide is a tradition in my family! My dad says that I have enjoyed the slide since I was little and sometimes it was hard to get me off of it.


I have to go on the slide at least once every time I go to the fair. This time Adam's sister, Sarah went with me.


You lean forward, put your arms in the air if you are brave enough and scream all the way down.

When you get to the bottom you collapse in a heap of giggles!

The fair always has a butter cow and it is placed in none other than the dairy barn.



Isn't she a beauty.




Every year the lady that makes the butter cow does a tribute to someone. This year she chose Shawn Johnson who is from Des Moines Iowa and is in the Olympics.




You can get anything imaginable on a stick at the fair and every year they come up with something new. This year there was a salad on a stick and fried pineapple on a stick. I did not have the salad on a stick as I thought I really did not come here to eat healthy, I did however have the pineapple on a stick which is amazing! It is a huge chunk of pineapple dipped in funnel cake batter, fried and then smothered in funnel cake glaze. Heaven on a stick!




When you leave the fair you no doubt have spent every last dollar in your wallet and your husband says, I hope there's enough left to retire on.


To check out all the other cool stuff at the fair go to http://www.iowastatefair.org/

No comments: