Sunday, August 17, 2008

Three Sisters Camping and Hiking

Byline: Adam

While Angela was on extended travel in Iowa (she will have some posts from IA later) I took an opportunity to do a little camping and hiking in the Three Sisters Wilderness Area. I got all the necessary supplies...hot dogs, s'mores, firewood, etc. I even bought a new pack for the trip (a Camelbak) which turned out to be awesome. I was a little late arriving on Friday which was nerve wracking because I didn't have a campsite reservation. I did get a nice campsite near Hosmer Lake, however, and started a fire. I had hot dogs but no s'mores because my stomach was feeling strange. I thought it was nerves from having to rush to find a campsite. I realized in the morning that it was not nerves...I got sick shortly after waking up. I decided to tough it out and went on a hike to another Mirror Lake (this one mirrors South Sister). I didn't make it, however, because I was REALLY tired, but Lilly and I did find another lake and a stream to sit and read by and keep cool (it was 100+ degrees over most of inland Oregon this weekend).

I thought about heading home after the hike, but was feeling better and decided to stay Saturday night. I was hoping to get another hike in on Sunday. It was probably a bad choice as I was sick again Saturday night. Feeling like I had been "tough enough" for one weekend I packed it up around 6am Sunday morning and headed home.

All told the trip was amazing. Despite the stomach bug, I really had a great time. All things being equal, I would probably even do it again. I could really do without the stomach bug, though. It was good to get out in the great outdoors, especially the time Lilly and I spent on our mini hike to the stream and lake.





I realize this picture is blurry...but I decided to post it anyway because it was amazing to see. This was taken near my campsite Friday night and is a full-moonrise with a sunset behind me lighting the trees.





Lilly grabbing a quick bite to eat at camp Friday.





Sunset on Friday night





Lilly at play at Sink Creek. It turned out to be kind of buggy here so me moved on.





The view of Kokostick Butte from Bristah lake. Lilly and I both went swimming here. Lilly actually did swim out to me one time...a big step! The lake was shallow, but cool...a welcome change of pace from the hot weather.





Lilly had the upper hand on the bugs at the lake. She gave them all they could handle





Sunrise over Mount Bachelor on Sunday morning

1 comment:

Sarah said...

oh looks nice! sorry you puked.